The CERN Convention cites engaging the public with fundamental research as a vital part of the Organization's mission. Indeed, CERN and the experimental collaborations it hosts have a considerable history of high-quality communication and outreach efforts that reach a wide range of international audiences. These activities are complemented by prominent educational programmes, such as CERN's residential programmes for high-school science teachers and students. In 2009, CERN's Physics Education Research (PER) activities were launched to support and further develop educational activities and to provide consultancy for all actors in the Organization's education and outreach efforts.
Today, CERN's PER team comprises an international team of staff scientists, postdoctoral research fellows, doctoral students, and visiting master students who perform education research in the field of particle physics. Among the various research activities are quantitative and qualitative studies focusing on teachers' professional development and students' conceptions and interest, as well as the iterative development of low-cost, hands-on experimental equipment for the classroom and the education labs in CERN's Science Gateway. For a detailed overview of all ongoing and completed research projects and to meet CERN's PER team, have a look here!
- Dahlkemper, M. N., Lahme, S. Z. & Klein, P. (2023). How do physics students evaluate artificial intelligence responses on comprehension questions? A study on the perceived scientific accuracy and linguistic quality of ChatGPT. Physical Review Physics Education Research, 19(1), 010142, article
- Woithe, J., Boselli, M., Chatzidaki, P., Dahlkemper, M. N., Duggan, R., Durey, G., Herff, N., Kranjc Horvat, A., Molaro, D., Scheerer, G. W., Schmeling, S., Thill, P. T., Wiener, J. & Zoechling, S. (2022). Higgs in a box: investigating the nature of a scientific discovery. The Physics Educator, 4(4), 1-15, article
- Dahlkemper, M.N., Klein, P., Müller, A., Schmeling, S.M. & Wiener, J. (2022). Opportunities and Challenges of Using Feynman Diagrams with Upper Secondary Students. Physics, 4(4), 1331-1347, article
- Kranjc Horvat, A., Wiener, J., Schmeling, S. & Borowski, A. (2022). What Does the Curriculum Say? Review of the Particle Physics Content in 27 High-School Physics Curricula. Physics, 4(4), 1278-1298, article
- Zöchling, S., Hopf, M., Woithe, J. & Schmeling, S. (2022). Students’ interest in particle physics: Conceptualisation, instrument development, and evaluation using Rasch theory and analysis, International Journal of Science Education, article
- Chatzidaki, P., Woithe, J., David, A. & Dunford, M. (2022). Ten things we’ve learned about the Higgs boson in the past ten years, Science in School, 59, article
- Kranjc Horvat, A., Boselli, M., Chatzidaki, P., Dahlkemper, M. N., Duggan, R., Durey, G., Herff, N., Molaro, D., Scheerer, G. W., Schmeling, S., Thill, P. T., Wiener, J., Woithe, J. & Zöchling, S. (2022). The mystery box challenge: explore the nature of science, Science in School, 59, article
- Woithe, J., Müller, A., Schmeling, S. & Kuhn, J. (2022). Motivational outcomes of the science outreach lab S'Cool LAB at CERN: A multilevel analysis. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, article
- Zöchling, S., Hopf, M., Woithe, J. & Schmeling, S. (2022). MAKE IT MATTER: How to foster interest in particle physics by setting it in meaningful contexts. PoS (EPS-HEP2021), 889, 1-4, proceedings
- Kranjc Horvat, A., Wiener, J., Schmeling, S. & Borowski, A. (2022). Learning Goals of Professional Development Programs at Science Research Institutions: A Delphi Study with Different Stakeholder Groups. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 33(1), 32-54, article
For a complete overview of all publications of CERN's PER team, have a look here!
Acting as an international PER hub, CERN actively collaborates with many partners throughout CERN's Member States and beyond on a variety of projects, many of which are related to doctoral students' research projects. If your institute or organisation is not yet in the non-exhaustive list below, feel free to get in touch - we should talk!